Dokla (Khaman) or savory steam cake is one of the famous Gujarati Snack that you will get in every snacks corner or restaurant. It has the combination of sweet, spicy, sour taste where you can get it from the ingredients like sugar, chilies, lemon juice etc. that we have added while making dhokla. It not very tough to make dhokla at home.
The traditional Dhokla required 7-8 hours of fermentation whereas here in instant dhokla, you just need 5-10 minutes for steaming. I have made this Dhokla in microwave so 3-4 minutes are more enough to get spongy dhokla. Just add curd, little baking soda and other spices in besan and your dhokla is ready. You will get yummy fluffy dhokla within few minutes.
Author & Creator : Bhakti
Recipe type & Cuisine: Indian Snacks
Makes: 14-15 Piece
Sources: Mother Recipe
Gram flour : 1 cup
Water: 1/4 Cup (As per needed)
Curd: 1/2 Cup
Turmeric Powder: a pinch
Ginger & chili paste: 1/2 tspn ( optional)
Salt: as per taste
Baking soda: 1 tspn
Oil: 1 tbsp
Mustard seed: 1 tspn
Green chili, deseeded: 2 chopped
Curry Leaves : 7-8 leaves
Asafoetida : a pinch
Sugar- water syrup – 1/4 Cup
Coriander leaves: 1 tbsp
Coconut: 1 tbsp
Lets Start with Instant Dhokla Recipe:
1. Take a bowl. Add gram flour, sooji, turmeric powder, ginger-chili paste, salt, water and whisk curd. Mix it well. Make sure it will not form lumps in the batter.
2. While mixing, add baking soda. Mix it again and keep this mixture aside for 5 minutes.
3. Pour this mixture in microwave utensil and microwave it 3-4 minutes or as per your microwave instructions or steam this for 10 minute on Gas Stove. Check with toothpick, if it comes out clean than it is ready. Remove from steamer or microwave. keep it for 5 minute until cool down. Meantime, prepare tempering.
4. Tempering: Heat oil in temper pan. Add mustard seed, green chili, curry leaves, asafetida. Let them splutter.
5. Cut them in piece and pour sugar-water syrup and tadka evenly. It will soak the sugar water and become sweet and fluffy.
6. Add chopped coriander leaves and grated coconut. Dhokla is ready to serve.
Storage/Serving Method: Serve with Green Chutney or Tomato Ketchup. You need to finish this in same day.
1.Always use fresh besan (gram flour).
2.You can avoid ginger-chili paste for original taste.