In Maharashtriyan family, when we think about daily breakfast and recipes, our mind always comes on kanda pohe, sheera and upma. Upma is a salty version of sheera (suji halwa) with vegetables.
I have tried lots of upma recipes from rawa upma to oats and soya crunch upma. Here I come up with one more upma recipe Vermicelli Upma or we can say Sevai upma. This upma is more testy and healthier as the vermicelli is made from rice flour or wheat flour. I used rice vermicelli.
We can make this recipe with 2-3 version such as sweet or lemon upma. Here I have given plain upma with a little lemon juice.
Author & Creator: Bhakti
Recipe type & Cuisine: Indian Breakfast
Makes: For 2-3 person
Vermicelli: 1 .5 cup
Oil: (1 tspn + ½ tspn)
Mustard Seed: 1tspn
Curry Leaves: 6-7 leaves
Chilies : 2-3 (as per taste)
Split Black Gram : 1 tbspn
Grated Coconut : 3tbsp
Coriander Leave:3 tbspn
Vermicelli or Sevai Upma Recipe:
- Measure 2 cup of Vermicelli and keep aside.
- Pour 7-8 cup of water in big vessel and boil it. Once the water gets boiled, add 1 tspn oil into water and stir well.
- Next add vermicelli in boiling water and boil for 2-3 minute until it completely done or same as instruction given on Vermicelli packet.
- Pour this in strainer and keep it in running water.
- Once it will get cool, spread it on plate.
- In non-stick kadhai, pour some oil. After 1 minute or so, add mustard seed. Once mustard seed get flattered, add split chillies, curry leaves and urad dal (Black Gram). Fry this another one and half minute. Once the urad dal gets little brown add boiled vermicelli and mix it properly.
- Add salt and sugar and stir it well. Cook for another 2-3 minute with lid. Add lemon juice and garnish with coriander leaves and grated coconut.
- We can add vegetables such as green peas, carrot etc. (as per our choice).
- Adding oil while boiling water is an important step to get non-sticky upma.
Yummy Indian Recipes