Ukadiche Modak | How To make Steam Modak
I have come up with one more recipe today after some time of interval. Currently I am working and handling my blog as a passion for foods and trying new recipe in my kitchen but really I don’t get much time. As my time are always divided between my daughter, home and office. Today, I promised myself and my blog, I will regularly update my blog with new innovative recipes; Last week, It was Magh Ganesh Jayanti. The birthday of Lord Ganesha – The Elephent-headed, Hindu God.
Source : Web
Ganesh Jayanthi or Vinayak Chaturthi which comes in Magh and Bhadrapada months. According to Hindu Calender, a spiritual and auspicious days in Maharashtriyan families. It’s dedicated to Lord Ganesha. Every month also has one Chaturthi that belongs to Ganesh Chaturthi or “Sankashtai Chaturthi” .
We do fasting on this day and make dishes like sabudana (sago) khichadi, sabudana vade or upvasache thalipith etc.. and at the end of the day, we do worship to the Lord Ganesha and offer “naivedya” to the god. Modak has importance in Lord Ganesh worship. This worship cannot be completed without Steam Modak.
Modak can be made by using rice flour or plain flour. There are various way to make the modak. Whether it can be a steam modak, fried modak or mawa modak. I have tried steam modak with basmati Rica flour, which gives you nice aroma of basmati rice. This flour gives you soft modak. For filling , I have used coconut and jaggery with some cashews, raisins and poppy seeds. It gives you nice crunchy and reach texture.
So try this Steam Modak on upcoming Sankshtha Chaturthi on 26th Feb.
Author & Creator: Bhakti
Recipe type & Cuisine: Indian Sweet
Makes: 22-23 Modak, medium size
Sources: MIL Recipe
For Filling :
Grated Coconut : 1 Cup
Grated Jaggery: ¾ th Cup (or as per your taste)
Poppy Seed (Khus Khus) : 1 Tspn
Cardamom Powder : 1/2 Tspn
Cashew : 2-3
To Make Modak Cover:
Basmati Rice or Special Modak Flour : 1 Cup
Water : 1 Cup
Salt : a pinch
Oil or Clarified Butter : 1/4th Tspn
Warm Water : ½ Cup
Recipe to Make Ukadiche Modak:
1. Mix well grated coconut and jaggery. Meantime, heat 1 Tspn ghee in heavy bottom vessel. Once heated, add poppy seed and let them splutter.
2. Add coconut- jaggery mixture and mix it well till jaggery gets melted now stir well continuously till it gets thick.
3. Turn off the gas and add the Cardamom powder, cashew and raisin
4. Take 1 Cup water in Nonstick Pan or Kadai. Once boiled, add oil or ghee and salt.
5. Add rice flour and mix it well. Use lid to cover the kadai for 2 minutes.
6. After 2 minutes, again stir it once. Keep it on low flame for a further 2-3 minutes.
7. Switch off the Gas and remove the kadai from heat.
8. Take the dough on a plain surface. Knead the dough with warm water. Wet your hand with warm water and knead the dough to get soft pliable dough.
9. Make small ball size dough. Roll the dough into nice puri or thin circle or you can spread the dough with the help of your thumb. (Please refer step wise image).
10. Hold this thin puri in your one palm. Put 1 Tbsn coconut-jaggery mixture in the center of the puri now approximately pinch 9-10 times on the edges by keeping the same distance. (Please refer step wise image).
11. Prepare all the modak. With this measurement and ingredients, you will get around medium size 20 -22 modak.
12. Steam all the modak into a steamer or modak patra for 10 -12 minutes. (check notes)
13. Once the steamer cooled down. Take cool water in bowl, dip your fingers in water and with the help of wet fingers remove all modak from steamer.
14. While offering modak, pour little melted ghee on the Modak.
Ganapati Bappa Morya.
Stepwise image for how to make Modak
1. Use warm water while kneading the dough, otherwise modak become hard also it won’t be rolled properly.
2. Adding cashew and raising gives extra reach taste to modak . Cashews and raisin are not the part of traditional recipe.
3. Do not steam more than 10- 12 minutes.
Steamer Process: Add water into steamer once boiled keep modak plate into the steamer and steam for 12 minutes or use the pressure cooker without whistle.
Please follow and like us: