South Indian Medu Vada Recipe
Medu Vada, often mispronounced as ‘Mendu’ vada, especially in Mumbai. Well in Marathi, Mendu means brains. Haha! Funny though. But when it comes to food all we look forward to is a delicacy. Who cares about pronunciation; we want to satisfy our taste buds and stomach.
Medu Vada is a popular South Indian snack, looks like a doughnut and is generally eaten for breakfast. The dish comes from South India and it was made popular by the Udapi restaurateurs of Mumbai. The word Medu originates from Kannada meaning ‘Soft’, thereby ‘Soft Fitter.’
The key ingredient used to prepare this dish is Urad dal (Black Gram) and just a couple of other items. However, many prefer adding some spices like black papper, cumin seed and also coconut pieces to it to intensify the taste. It is served with Sambhar and Chutney that enhances the dish’s overall appeal.
Although it is a deep fried food item, it is considered healthy because it contains Urad dal. We often crave for this dish and now with this recipe, you can instantly satiate your cravings. It’s quite easy. Let’s learn how to prepare it. I also truly admitted the shape of my Medu Vadas are not in proper shape but still I achieved the shape.
Author & Creator: Bhakti
Recipe type & Cuisine: Indian Breakfast
Makes: For 5 Persons
Udad Dal or split black gram : 2 Cup
Ginger, chopped: 1/2 inch
Chilies, chopped: 1 or 2 Small
Curry leaves, chopped: 4-5
Onion, chopped: 1 small (optional)
Coconut Water: 1-2 Teaspoon (optional)
Recipe For Medu Vada:
- Rinse urad dal or split black grams. Keep overnight in water or minimum 4-5 hours.
- Take urad in a mixer grinder. Add chili, ginger and grind it with the help of little water Do not add extra water.
- While grinding the dal, if you don’t require water that would be great because adding too much water while grinding, vada will absorb too much oil.
- Take all batter in large bowl. Mix onion, salt and if you have coconut water, add 1-2 teaspoon. It will make medu vada spongy and crispy.
- With the help of hand beater, beat the batter nicely, approximately 5-10 minute. It is an important step.
- Heat oil. Once heated, take water in small bowl. Deep your palm in water and take a small amount of batter (lemon size) and with the help of thumb give a shape of vada. Put in kadhai.
- Once sound decrease or 1 minute, turn the other side and fry till it become light brown and fluffy.
- Remove from the Kadhai and keep on kitchen paper to absorb the oil.
- Serve the Medu vada with sambar or coconut chutney.
Yummy Indian Recipes